Monday, September 5, 2011

For the Burlap lover...

Burlap lover.....you know who you are! If you consider yourself even somewhat in this class of people, you've probably seen this famous board somewhere in the last month!

It's from Ballard Design, and it's got everybody all up in a craze about replicating all kinds of ways! The biggest issue we all have with this "original" beauty is her heftly price tag of a whoppin $49-$89. I've splurged before on things that I reeeeally love, but this seemed way to simple to be that pricey! So, without further delay.....


I'd picked up the burlap bag for $1.50 at a local antique flea. (It was an old german coffee sack, cool huh?) The mod podge was from another project, and always a good thing to have on hand for misc. crafts. (Although it wasn't probably the best choice in glue for this project) I purchased a roll of cork board and a canvas board at the local craft store!



The Canvas board is definitely a more expensive way to mount the cork, but I got it 50% off and it achieved the desired look that I was going for more than just the foam board I've seen used on other blog tutorials. I used the mod podge to clue the cork to the canvas.

The burlap was then cut to size and folded over and under the wood frame of the canvas board!



I used a staple gun to secure the burlap, and let me tell you, I did not go conservative on the stapling! This baby isn't movin anywhere!

I bought several boxes of upholstery nails at Lowes for the finishing touch. I thought this was going to be the easy peasy, but it proved to be a little bit of a challenge to get them straight!



Thats where Hubby brilliantly suggested using a string! Place the 2 end nails in position and string a line between them. Hot pink thread was used for visibility! I then measured out the distance between each nail and placed them along the line!


Voila'! She now proudly hangs next to my desk/work area in the kitchen! I have 2 "splurged on" wire baskets with cute little labels due to arrive in 5-7 business days, to put my mail and magazines in beside her!






15 comments:

  1. Love it! I've been wanting to make the "MR" and "MRS" burlap pillows featured in Ballard. I should be able to do it for much less than the $59 each which they sell them for, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice Mel! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! If I attempted something like that, it would not turn out like the picture. :) I've come to the conclusion that I just have to spend the money if I want it to look right. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are doing what you do best... artist designs ;) Well done Mel!
    ... Only wishing I were there to take lessons in person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found this diy on pinterest... it looks great!! i love burlap, so i will have to give it a go myself... i will make sure i give you credit after i do it and blog about it! thanks for an awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! But I want to add lace behind the upholstery nails and put a few fabric flowers on the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your link on Pinterest as well...thank you for the tutorial! I love my new pinboard and how much I actually spent on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this tutorial on Pinterest....working on it today and am already loving the way it looks. I just bought a framed cork board and hot gluded the burlap to the back...worked very well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I love burlap and I can't wait to try this. What other glue would you recommend if modge podge wasn't the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting me! I tried another board with hot glue, which definitely stuck better, but you have to work really fast because of the rapid drying time! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm.so excited.to do this....thanks for making the directions so easy to follow!! I hope mine turns out as great as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done! It looks just like the original. And I love the little string tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making this tonight! Wonderful idea!! I cannot wait to get all this extra paper and clutter off my fridge and onto this cute board.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...