Wednesday, October 26, 2011

An act of War

Here in the west, as the fall weather sets in, it creates the opportunity for "winter crops" in the garden. In the midwest, there was not a lot of life in the garden much past Oct., so I'm still learning what crops to grow in what season. A couple of weeks ago, I put in a few different varieties of lettus, spinach, carrots, winter squash, onions etc...! They germinated in less than a week, and we even had a nice rain to welcome them to life! I thought to myself..." this is easy growing"...and "I'll be harvesting some of these greens in another week or two"!

Lo, and behold...there was harvesting done alright, but I was beat to it! In a matter of 24 hours I went from having a nice big garden fresh salad, to a measly picked over half of a salad!


This, my friends, is the works of my newest enemy! The sheer thought of them, makes my skin crawl! Apparently they are of a picky nature, because they didn't so much as touch my spinach!


Let me introduce you to the cabbage worm, or looper. Yes, I had to google it to figure out what they were, and yes the image is off of google as well because I would rather not be in that close of proximity with my enemies! Someday, when I am a grown-up gardener, I will pick them off my precious plants with my bare fingers. For now, I am asking each of you for your secrets in organic pest control to declare war on these invaders! I tried 10drops of peppermint oil + a tsp. of dish soap in a spray bottle of water to run them off! I can't seem to find them in the lettus, but I'm still seeing damage, so I know they're in there somewhere!


And in the meantime, we'll stick with spinach salads. Oh and my tomatoes still seem to be going full force...


(why don't the loopers want them? there's plenty for all of us)


I will be awaiting your wise comments! :)













1 comment:

  1. I wish I could help you, but I've yet to attempt the gardening thing....I leave that up to my mother & father in law :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...