Saturday, March 31, 2012

Calling all Craigs-listers...

As the saying goes, "one mans junk, is another mans treasure"...and there is no better place to make that a true statement than a garage sale! And the only other thing better than a garage sale, is a bigger garage sale! And you don't get any better than the biggest garage sale of the U.S or otherwise known as Craigslist!! Hubby & I have bought and sold multiple things over the last several years, and have become self proclaimed, seasoned craigslist "junkies"! My most recent purchase has been the most exciting to date, and I decided to share it with you ,my faithful followers in hopes that you will be inspired in some way or another to join in the treasure hunt!

I've been in the market for a dining hutch for several years now, but I couldn't ever seem to commit to any for some reason or another. I love the idea behind re purposed furniture, but also know the work that goes into restoring these gems sometimes. When this lovely little thing popped up, I didn't even hesitate! The price was right, and the work to bring about new life in her seemed worth it!

Here she sits BEFORE:

And after much more sanding, and stripping and filling, and priming, and more sanding and painting....

She proudly sits AFTER:


The pictures somehow don't do her justice, but look real hard! ;) We took her from a very old yellowed-white color to a lovely shade of light grey, with a dark wood-stained top on the buffet part.

BEFORE:
Her shelves and drawers were covered in what I'm going to guess as a 70's-ish wall paper, that my "loving craigslist partner" spend many hours tearing off inch by inch! We gave them all a nice bright white coat of paint and couldn't believe the transformation!

AFTER:We removed all the hardware during the preparation stage, and I initially thought I was going to replace them all. The hinges were a little rusted and covered in paint by a previous owner that apparently thought removing them was a waste of time! After a google search, I put them in boiling water and the paint came right off with a little scraping. A little steel wool & they looked marvelous! I found the aged brass pulls very complimenting after we painted the hutch grey, so they too went back on!

BEFORE:


We moved her into her new home, and I wasn't left disappointed! She still needs a bit of styling, and decor in and around her, but she gets the job done beautifully! :)




If haven't convinced you yet...here's a quick run down of a few more Craigslist finds that might get your mind going!


A set of full sized lockers that we had a local weld shop cut down to 1/2, and we finished it off with a weathered board to serve as a nightstand/bookshelf for the boys' bedroom!

European wrought iron that I bought sight on scene, with no idea what I was going to do with it...but way to cute to pass on! For now, it serves as a headboard in the guest room! (Fun+cheap)





I love to collect old stoneware crocks, and this one popped up less than 10 miles away! I actually watched the listing sit for over 2 weeks before I called about it, and luckily it was not snatched up by some other collector!








And, lastly here my sweet niece & nephew are enjoying a ride in a double stroller I was able to grab for a great deal! It was basically brand new, and I paid WELL under "new" prices! It has been a great investment, and when I'm through using it...you can guess where I will more than likely sell it! :)




Happy shopping! I'd love to know what great finds you all come up with!











































3 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! I love seeing how people can turn "junk" into beauty. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun! Craigslist isn't that great around here :/- to few of big cities I guess!& it is probably a good thing - as I can see I would porbably be addicted;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed! love the color too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...