Wednesday, April 25, 2012

blah blah blog

I've lost all blog inspiration this month, if you haven't noticed. It's not that there hasn't been anything exciting happening around this nest, but it just that I'm in a frump where if the sun is shining, I can't bring myself to sit in front of the computer for any length of time! Fortunately for you, my faithful followers..it's raining today! :)


Actually, I can credit a dear friend with whom I had a lovely phone conversation with earlier today, who prompted me with her comment..." I keep checking your blog for an update"....! Truth is, as I was sharing with her, I try to blog from the heart so I can someday look back & remember these precious days...but whats been on my heart lately is difficult for me to put into words.


The best way that I can think to explain it is, I feel like a lot of my days lately have been "one step forward, and two steps back." Where I've tried to teach kindness, I'm dealing with hurt. Where I've tried to teach sharing, I'm dealing with selfish-ness. When I've administered discipline, I'm faced with anger...and that's just the beginning.


I know that these principles aren't taught in a day, and it's "line upon line, precept upon precept"...but in between those lines, dealing with the ugliness of the human nature has left me with my hands thrown up & weeping from the hurt!



What hurts worse though, is examining my own heart in all this, and finding some of the same sins that I'm trying so diligently to point out in my children's hearts. I'm guilty of needing the same lessons taught to me over and over. Someone just recently said to me that children can be "holy sandpaper". I've felt like I've just been given a good work over with some 50 grit. (which Wikipedia describes as: for removal of material.)
I know it doesn't stop there though. I know that once God strips away or removes any ugliness from us, He doesn't leave us with a rough and uneven surface.

He continues to fine tune us and perfect the imperfections. I'm sure I still have some 100 grit (Wikipedia:used for preparation of finishing.)  to withstand. This process surely takes years, right? 



I cling to this promise: My GRACE is sufficient for thee: for my STRENGTH is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the POWER of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Cor. 12:9)







10 comments:

  1. It's funny that I'm commenting, because we don't know each other that well, and I probably can't even relate because I don't have little ones that I'm teaching....but I just wanted you to know that I was touched by your words. Thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I feel your pain and hurt. At 8 and 13 my girls can have me in tears daily. Even my 6 year old occasionally does the same. I've decided that if I go to God in tears it can be a good thing. If I'm just in tears feeling sorry for myself it's NOT a good thing. But I have to remind myself of that daily. I feel that sandpaper all too well!
    Blessings and prayers to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful. When i read this, " I know that once God strips away or removes any ugliness from us, He doesn't leave us with a rough and uneven surface."...i almost cried. It's true. While God is refinishing us, He will not leave us with rough or uneven surfaces, but it takes time.
    <3
    Thank you for posting this.
    Amy
    Takingstepshome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Melissa! Even though it's tough, it's comforting to know that God is at work in every stage of our lives. He loves us too much to let us sit in the corner and get dusty... like I do to so many of my projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I so can relate with you. One step forward, two steps back. And seeing the same sin in my own heart that I'm trying to work with Tanner in his heart. I read this the other day and it was so encouraging to me. "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness." 2 Peter 1:3. Thank-you Jesus that I don't have to do this alone! Wonderful post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. [Thank you] for your post, Mel, & thank you for your hospitality while we were there....so grateful we were able to get a few precious chats in! =)
    I received an email the other day that spoke right to my heart about this same issue of 'refining'. Its main topic was our role as moms in . Ouch. So often I fall really short & all I can do is praise God for His tender grace for me. May we continually strengthen each other as He applies the 50 grit to our hearts!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...."our role as moms in [self-sacrificing]". Unsure why the word 'self-sacrificing wasn't on my comment! Sorry! =/
      Xoxo

      Delete
  7. WOW! You spoke my thoughts exactly! I so appreciate our chats on the phone even when we are thousands of miles apart we still can share heart to heart! Thankyou for your honesty and your pics of your darling kiddos. I know that I am in the sandpaper phase right now and wonder if I will ever make it through it??? Thank the LORD for his LOVE and Grace. He is the ONLY way. So here we are in the 1 step forward and 2 steps back phase of life. Praying that our backward steps can get less. love you friend!
    ~ Tam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read an article the other day where an older mother was recalling the stage when her children were toddlers as "being a mom in the trenches"... Yep - sounds about right to me! Hang in there m'dear. I pray for my fellow mamas because I know how VERY much I need it as well. Grace for the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen, amen, amen! I have a couple of mama's around here whom with I've had this exact conversation. It seems to me that every mom of young children have those same feelings. One dear friend told me that we are in the "boot camp" years. I can agree with that! There have been days where I have to go to my room & scream into a pillow. Yep, I'll admit it. :) I don't know how many times I've told Deacon to, "be patient" in my most impatient voice. I have never felt the Grace of God more, than when I became a mom. For that, I can give God all of the praise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...