Thursday, July 19, 2012

The rise and fall of Mr.Plague


I stand corrected! Remember what I said here about doing some good ole' soul searching? Turns out camping isn't the only thing that can remove you from the comforts of everyday living and cause you to dig from within!


And no, it's not a day at the beach either! Although spending some good quality time with the sand between your toes, watching the majestic motion of the waves crashing is a perfect place to ponder life! Let it be known that I now declare the mystery of what modern medicine calls HIVES, the thing that has taken me from a level of comfort to that which I do not care to experience again anytime soon!


We spent a blissful weekend, away from the valley heat, at the coast with some dear friends and came home to what I shall call the "plague of unbearable itch"! I woke up Monday morning with just a few patches of red itchy bumps on the inside crease of my elbows and the backs of my knees! By evening I had a full blown breakout from head to toe. It was not pretty.



I Googled hives, faster than you can say it, looking for some relief from the misery! First I tried the warm oatmeal bath, which didn't seem to appease the Plague, but rather left me a bit queasy at the site of my favorite breakfast food floating around me! Next was a good dose of Benadryl, which either took the edge off, or relaxed me enough to fall asleep!


But then morning came. And the Plague was back, but this time he was really mad!! Hubby quickly went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription that our Dr. had so kindly called in! I wish I could say after the first dose took affect, that this was the fateful end of Mr.Plague....but it was not.


This morning was day 4 of our little escapade. The good news is, I think I'm slowly winning! I've found that a warm bath with baking soda, followed by a lathering of lotion containing colloidal oatmeal, mixed with hydro- cortisone cream can bring relief in the unbearable moments. Between the prescription pills & Benadryl tablets I've been able to keep the worst of the outbreaks down to a near minimum!

I know your asking what I reacted to in the first place, but the answer to that question is still out with the jury. I've went through the last few days before the onset, and cannot come up with any clear cut "thing" that would cause it!

If you've every experienced hives, I would be SO grateful to hear the cause & any good advice in dealing with them!!

{p.s...your days are numbered, Mr. Plague!}

4 comments:

  1. number one. I LOVE these dear people in the pictures. all of you!
    number two. I'm soo sorry Mel! I had bad case of pink eye in May ...oh how it changes your perspective on life for a few days...and I kept telling myself how silly I was acting but the painful,itches are not fun. I did find that Claritin helped but didn't make me drowsy.

    no real help on hives but thought I would express my sympathy to you. Hope you are healed soon.

    Oh and a verse I kept repeating that helped me (:(May was quite a month for us)
    And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ick:( so sorry. I will pray it is soon gone completely, never to return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Mel I have been praying for you these past few days... such a shame that a wonderful weekend ended so NOT wonderful for you :( Praying it is gone TODAY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and Emma calls them SEAshells now - just like Grady. I get corrected when I call them boring ole' shells. Glad he's giving her some Carmel culture to her speech ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...