Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Big city mooch


It's a rare day for the fact that both of the peeps are napping simultaneously! I'm always so torn on what to do on these occasions because the options are unlimited! Today, I waffled heavily between napping and blogging because my eyelids are a bit droopy themselves from our adventure packed, blur of a weekend...


I choose blogging, because maybe I can re-live the bliss for just a minute while I share the photos with you!
There are a few things you need to know about me first though....
1. In general, I find mooching a sign of undesirable character.
2. I've always found big cities rather intimidating.
3. I loose a little bit of dignity every time I go through airport security.


For the last few consecutive years at the end of August, hubby has attended a trade show at the convention center in downtown Portland. Every time he returns home telling me what a beautiful city it is to behold, I decide it's high time I see for myself what all the hub-bub is about. Except that would mean I would actually have to leave the hotel room by myself and find my way around a big city for a day and 1/2. I'm sure I could do it...


But, even better, finding out an old room mate lives in the city and is willing to take the day off work to show me her town! And she works at the Marriott, so where to stay was a no-brainer!

Next comes the mooching.

Is is really mooching though when it's your husband's business trip and your small and compact, not really taking up much space or eating much food, and he'll hardly even notice your there.



Except that I did eat a lot of food. Who can blame me though, when the eateries have names like "Oven & Shaker" or "Urban Farmer" and serve up brick oven pizza's with toppings you can't even imagine ever putting together! I dare you...peaches, blackberries, ricotta & topped with arugula! Two words: mouth watering.


And then there was the coffee. These people take their coffee very seriously, but what else would you expect from a coffee shop with exposed brick walls, menu's handwritten on chalkboards and nothing to sweeten your brew with except for half and half cream and honey.





Okay fine, I might have made that last part up, but it was some of the best coffee I've ever had. It might have been the quaint-ness of the shop that made it taste so good, but either way, the experience was delightful! 


We didn't even put a dent in the shopping, mainly because we spent so much time eating & drinking strong coffee...but that suits me fine. Best of all was catching up with my dear sweet friend, who is still as much fun today as she was 10 years ago. Her lively laughter is contagious and she knows how to enjoy life.


She was the best tour guide, and with only a short 30 some hours to show me the best of Portland...she did not disappoint! And I can now confirm what hubby has been saying...this city is fabulous! 



If I'm lucky, I detect more mooching in my future. 
And I'm not the least bit ashamed! 

2 comments:

  1. :) Good for you! I went with my hubby on a business trip to Atlanta once. Along with our 3 year old daughter. I ventured out a few blocks but not far enough to really enjoy that beautiful city. I was too scared. My excuse was I had a little girl to take care of too, but in reality I wouldn't have gone by myself either! Today, 10 years later might be different but I really doubt it!! Not by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful! Coffee, good food and good company... you can't get much better than that!

    ps. I'll work on an ivisible zipper tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...