Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chalk Board spray paint: {product review}


I've been known to jump on "certain" decor band-wagons, and not know when it's my stop to get off! I fall in love with something, and want to cover every surface possible, or incorporate it in every room of the house. Remember the Burlap posts? Actually I'm still loving the burlap, but when I'm brainstorming some new craft idea...I don't feel the uncontrollable need to add it in somewhere.

Now it's chalkboard paint. It's the coolest stuff around. You push down that spray nozzle and it's hard to stop with just the intended project. Here's proof of some of the fun I've been having.

BEFORE:

I can't remember if I actually bought this tray or it was a gift, but it's served multiple purposes for the last 7 years. The bottom, if you can't tell, is 4 ceramic tiles that I decided had a bit of a worn out french kitchen look. The good thing is they have a smooth, hard surface...making them a perfect candidate for my need to appease the uncontrollable spray painting! :)

AFTER:

The tiles we're just a tad tricky to actually write on because of the lines, but the surface felt very similar to a slate board! There is no rocket science to the actual painting part. Just like most spray paints, the biggest thing you want to be aware of is puddling. Applying in smooth strokes and thin layers, easily takes care of that though.


For the wood frame, I gave it a little light sanding and just quickly applied some leftover paint from my laundry room cabinets. Although I'm realizing aqua blue may quite possibly be considered one of those "certain" band-wagons that should probably think about getting off at the next stop.

The added touch was some slight distressing, and a bit of stain rubbed on & off of the edges and corners to give it the vintage-y love she needed! 

Next is a fun touch to the boys' room, but I cannot seem to come up with the "before" picture so we'll go directly to the "after".


This was a cheap mirror, with a just a tan frame that I bought on clearance at TJmaxx for our hall bathroom. At the time I couldn't find anything I liked that was the right odd size it needed to be, so I bought this for a temporary fix! Then when I did find the perfect medicine cabinet, the mirror went into the shed for several years!

Candidate #2 will you please step forward! Once again the smoothness of the mirror made it a great surface for actually writing on with chalk! More leftover paint, from my china hutch this time, and the frame turned out a great contrast with the black!


And that's all for now! Or at least until I scrounge around in my shed again and find something else that's begging to be re-purposed. Don't be surprised if it has an aqua blue, burlap-y, chalkboard look to it when it's finished though!

Now go buy yourselves some paint & join the fun!

3 comments:

  1. I have never used chalkboard paint but I want to sometime - when I find the perfect thing to use it on! I just don't have much space left in my house for new pieces to fit in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun ideas! maybe someday I'll pick up a can, my children would LOVE it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I have a couple chalkboard projects in my head, but who knows when they'll get done. :)

    Love that tray! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...