Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bucket list moments


Pinch me, because I still cannot believe yesterday was for real! It was one of those moments that I've had at the top of my "bucket list" for a long time, and it was everything I ever dreamed it would be! Although I was a little nervous at first, I could not wipe the smile off my face the entire time, and it won't be something I forget anytime soon!


Your probably thinking it was some high adrenaline moment like skydiving or bull riding, but sorry, not for this girl! It had more to do with sautéing, kneading, and reduction techniques! I got to pretend I was Julia Child for one blissful morning, in a kitchen equipped with tools & appliances I dream of! 


I have to confess, I considered myself an intermediate in cooking, and the basics were for beginners! I'm blessed to have a mother that is a wonderful cook, and taught me how to work my way around the kitchen at a fairly young age! Basic or not, I knew the Italians had some secrets to their most simple dishes (particularly their pizza) that I was dying to know! 


Let me just tell you, I quickly realized I was just a mere novice and their "secrets" are so simple and a matter of time rather than technique! The most admirable thing about their dishes, is that they always start with the freshest ingredients, and many of them they grow themselves! Processed food is completely unheard of! My idea of "cooking" was completely revolutionized!


Executive chef, Ricardo was my teacher and though his English was exceptional good, his Italian accent was thick! He emphasized words like "marinade" and "vinegar" in a way that I have never heard, and it took me awhile to interpret what he was saying! One thing is for sure though, I hung onto every word he said and was like a sponge to the instruction and knowledge he was giving!


While I was living my Julia Child moment, Mcdreamy was checking off a top a bucket list moment himself! Unfortunately it wasn't driving one of these classic European icons, but rather chasing around a little white ball on the brilliant green turf, amidst the rolling Tuscan hills! Men truly are from mars, and women from Venus! :)






1 comment:

  1. Honeyfriend you look like you belong in that kitchen! These posts make me so happy because I know you are having the time of your life :) Can't wait to enjoy these new skills you're acquiring ;)and hear all about it! Soak up every moment...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...